I started with 2 herb deli roasted chickens. I pulled the chicken off the bone and cut into bite size pieces and dropped them into the butter sprayed crock already turned on high heat.
Next, I dumped in the veggies and lots more yummy stuff. My goal is to make some mouths water and maybe even get a request for the recipe. [silly smile] The best secrets are in the sauce.
Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
I did this on Saturday afternoon so after a couple hours of cooking (the veggies should be tender) I let it cool and stored it in the fridge until morning.
Sunday morning I turned the crock back on high until it was nice and hot before transporting to the pot luck lunch.
While it heated I put together a double crust and used an oak leaf shaped cookie cutter to cut the crust into fancy crackers. Bake the cookie crusts in the oven to a lovely toasted brown and allow to cool.
Right before serving, remove the lid and adorn the casserole with the leaf shaped crusts. My favorite part of a pot pie is the crusty top so serving it with the leafy shapes made it extra special.
Wow, guys, this recipe is a winner.
Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
- 2 Deli Roasted Chickens including the drippings, skinned, deboned, cut in chunks
- 1 Can Cream of Celery
- 1 Can Cream of Mushroom
- 1 small carton heavy cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cut in pieces
- 2 small cans Hatch green chilies including the juice, chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 1/2 Cups frozen peas
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 3 chopped carrots
- 4-5 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 8-10 shakes of Louisiana Hot Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt and Pepper
- Pie Crust
- Dump all the ingredients except the crust into a pre heated crock pot.
- Once all of the ingredients are gently stirred together and taste tested let it cook for a couple of hours. My crock pot cooks pretty hot, so I turned it down to medium heat to accomplish a slow simmer instead a boil.
- Either make your own crust or use a purchased crust to make cookie cutouts. It's fall so I used a large leaf cutter.
- Bake according to the instructions with your crust recipe and serve on the side with the Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie.
Powered by Recipage