I began to put together a fresh apple coffee cake. The cake went together pretty quickly and when it was close to done [breathing in the delectable smells] I made another cup of coffee. Is it weird to be excited about a new coffee brewer? I can't help it. It came yesterday. It's a champagne color that looks fabulous on my recently completed kitchen make over and because I'm not the kind of girl that likes to wait too long for my coffee, I'm loving how quick it is.
As soon as the cake was cool enough to cut, I put a slice on a plate for hubs and one for myself along with two cups of coffee. It feels like we braved the cold weather and drove to Starbucks, but we didn't...we are comfy and cozy right here in my kitchen. We are both loving how perfect the cake and coffee taste together for our late morning breakfast, right here-at home.
Fresh Apple Upside Down CakePre heat oven 350° F Butter and flour baking pan.
- Melt 2 Tablespoons butter in the pan by placing it in the oven. When it is melted remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle:
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar sprinkled over the butter.
- Sprinkle about 1 teaspoon cinnamon on the sugar.
- While the butter is melting use a vegetable peeler to peel 1 or 2 apples. Core and slice them.
- Arrange apples slices over the topping. Set aside.
Cream together using mixer:
- 1 stick room temperature butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (or try almond flavoring)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Spoon the batter over the apples.
Bake 375° F 45-60 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool on wire rack, loosen edges from pan with a knife. Hold a plate tightly to the pan while you flip the pan over, releasing cake onto plate. Now… drizzle Nutella across the apple top and have a delicious slice while it’s warm.