Sweet Potato, Bacon and Onion Soup
prep 20 minutes, cook 20 minutes, 4 servings
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 can (5 oz.) Cream of mushroom soup
- 10 ounces (2 soup cans) 2% milk
- 6-8 slices crisp cooked bacon + the fat rendered
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start heating a Dutch oven on medium high heat with a film of olive oil in the bottom.
- Cook the bacon on a cookie sheet in a 400 F. oven 20 minutes.
- While the bacon cooks, chop the onion and bell pepper and toss into the hot Dutch oven.
- While the bacon & bell pepper cook to a translucent stage, peel and dice the sweet potato.
- Pour the cream of mushroom soup and use the can to measure two cans of milk into the Dutch oven.
- Toss in the diced sweet potato. The soup should be at a boil when you add a couple slices of crumbled bacon and the fat rendered from cooking it. Stir and allow the potatoes to cook till just tender. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls, break a slice of bacon into half to garnish the top. And maybe add a grilled cheese sandwich. Mmmm.