Great Grand helped me make cookies this week. He especially enjoys cut outs, so we made mummy cookies to take to a family party this weekend. That is, if we have any left! I use my standard tried and true sugar cookie recipe with a twist.
Cinnamon and orange flavors. They turned out really delicious.
Here’s the recipe for about 2-3 dozen mummies, depending on the size of your cutter and how thin your roll the dough.
Cinnamon Orange Sugar Cookie Mummies:
- 2/3 cup butter, room temperature soft
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk (or water)
- 1 teaspoon orange flavoring
- 2 cups flour
- Powdered Sugar icing (to make mummy)
- Preheat oven 375° F.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter and and dry ingredients (except flour) together until combined.
- Add wet ingredients and beat till well combined.
- Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour. To be successful with a cut out cookie, the batter should be pretty firm like a quality play dough.
- Divide the dough in half. Cover and refrigerate the 1/2 you aren’t working with until you are ready for it.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half the dough until 1/4” thick. I prefer a chewier cookie, if you like thin crispy cookies, roll out 1/8” thick.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out gingerbread man shape and gently shake the cookie cutter side to side to make it easier to transfer to the cookie sheet. Space cookies about an inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 7-8 minutes until the edges are firm. They will be light in color. Cool 5 minutes on pan then transfer to a wire rack to completely cool.
- Decorate with powdered sugar icing and if you like, use some of those purchased edible eyes from the cake decorating isle.