This is another great summer recipe. I purchased some large yellow bell peppers at the market to make this recipe you can use green or red. Hmm, red, wouldn’t that make a pretty meal. It’s a recipe a beginning cook can easily accomplish.
Recipe for 4
Preheat oven 350 F
- 1/2 pound ground beef or turkey
- 2 bell peppers (I love the slight sweetness of the yellow peppers)
- Spices: 1/2-1 teaspoon of each: chopped fresh basil, thyme, parsley, garlic clove
- 1/4 chopped onion
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 saltine crackers, crushed
- salt & pepper from the shakers
- 1/2 cup tomato basil sauce, divided (or purchased spaghetti sauce of your choice)
- 4 slices provolone cheese
Slice the peppers in half and clean out the seeds and light membrane. Place in baking dish cut side up.
Mix the ingredients together with the meat and about 1/4 cup of the sauce using your hands. If that’s too gross for you, you can use a fork. Just try to get the ingredients mixed in really well then press 1/4 of the meat mixture into each of the pepper halves. Pour the rest of the sauce on top. Bake 350 F about 30 minutes. Add a slice of cheese on top of each stuffed pepper, return to the oven for 10-15 more minutes.
I cook for two, so instead of adding the cheese to the extra two, I cool and then freeze them for another day…another meal. All I have to do is defrost and add the cheese for 10 minutes in the oven. This also makes a pretty great meatball for pasta.